Manufacturer website: www.LCDVF.com
This is a “must have” accessory: a finder to see your LCD display bigger, so important for filmmakers and photographers.
It has extremely good optics and design. It gives a clear and sharp view of the entire LCD display without optic aberrations. No vignetting nor distorted corners at all.
Very handy in every situation. The magnetic mount design makes it extremely fast and easy to mount/unmount it in a second. The rubber eyepiece is really soft, skin friendly and very comfortable. You can also use a BlueStar cushion on it for even more comfort.
After you attach the mounting frame to the camera screen, following the manufacturer guide (http://www.lcdvf.com/manual.html) and waiting the proper time (we suggest leaving a weight over the frame for at least 24hs) you can start using the unit. If the frame is properly attached, it won’t fall off over time.
Once you start using it, you will certainly realize it’s essential to enhance your shooting experience.
Pros vs Cons
- Excellent optic and build quality
- Very easy, fast and handy attaching system
- User can view the entire frame without any kind of vignetting
- Very good price / value ratio. The most affordable option keeping great quality.
- Essential tool to see the screen in daylight/bright light situations, when reviewing stills or movie clips.
- Essential for using the LCD screen as electronic viewfinder
- Not as much magnification as some people would like or need (but at the same time that allows to see the entire frame at once)
- No diopter correction (most users won’t need it, but people without good vision could find inconveniences)
- Some users don’t like the idea to stick a frame to the screen, but after several months of using it we can tell that it is really handy and you don’t have to attach anything else to the body, keeping the base free for battery grip / tripod mount.
- The retention frame needs to be mounted carefully, following all given instructions (in fact this is not a con, just a note that you need to do the process well to ensure the frame is correctly stuck to the screen)
- The included pouch is not big enough to carry the LCDVF comfortably
It is compatible with many Canon EOS and Nikon camera models. Also suitable for P&S cameras that have LCD displays with the specified dimensions. A detailed and updated list of compatible cameras can be found at the manufacturer website.
As mentioned above, this is a “must have” accessory. It is not perfect (we don’t know any “perfect solution”, since every user has their own needs), but it’s really great for the value. We highly recommend it.
ADDITIONAL INFO & PICTURES
Notice from the manufacturer:
Please be aware that there are some fake LCD viewfinder products similar to LCDVF but the optics and construction used in those products is far inferior of the original.
Suitable for most 3″ screens.
There are also versions for 3:2 and 16:9 aspect ratio LCD screens!
- Spontaneously transform your video enabled DSLR into a discreet handheld video camera
- Stabilizes camera when shooting video handheld
- Aids on the fly focusing
- Allows the use of LCD in bright daylight outdoors
- Magnification of 200% specially tailored to most 3″ LCD screens
- AR coated and optically corrected lens with 40mm clear aperture
- No diopter correction (usable up to -4)
- Robust and durable: no moving parts
- Splash and dust proof
- 180 degrees flippable design allows instant left or right eye usage
- Universal magnetic mounting interface allows rapid mounting and demounting without any wear and tear
- Allows the use of battery and wireless grip and all other original accessories
- Flat mounting interface allows easy cleaning of the LCD screen
Please check the Manufacturer website for full specifications and user manual.
Where to buy
U.S.A: LCDVF Digital SLR Viewfinder at B&H (other retailers available).
Please note that there are also versions for 3:2 and 16:9 aspect ratio LCD screens to fit most current cameras!