** REBATES AVAILABLE ** Canon EOS 7D Body & Kits – Click here to view options.
UPDATE #2: April 26, 2011 – Firmware version 1.2.5 for EOS 7D was published and “officially” released again. Check this article to know more.
UPDATE #1: April 20, 2011 – Firmware version 1.2.5 for EOS 7D was removed from Canon UK. Check this article to know more.
Canon has released a new firmware update for the EOS 7D . It includes some fixes and improvements, but there is still no option to disable AGC (auto gain control).
Weird indeed, this firmware refers to a previous version (1.2.4) that was not widely announced. Moreover, this new version 1.2.5 still doesn’t appear on Canon USA website at the time of writing this article.
EOS 7D Firmware version 1.2.5
Changes in this firmware:
Firmware Version 1.2.5 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.
1. Fixed a rare phenomenon in which there were rare cases where movie files taken could not be opened when repeatedly shooting movies with specific CF cards.
2. Fixed a rare phenomenon in which there were cases where “Err 02” appeared when repeatedly shooting still images with specific CF cards.
3. Fixed a phenomenon that occurred when using high-capacity (32 GB or greater) CF cards: If either a CF card with only a little available space remaining or the battery was removed and then reinserted into the camera, and then the user attempted to start shooting movies immediately, shooting would stop.
4. Improved the writing/reading speeds when using UDMA 7-compatible CF cards.
5. Fixed a phenomenon that occurred when custom function C.Fn 4-1 was set to assign IS start to the AF stop button on the lens: When used with lenses that do not have an AF stop button, the IS function would not work.
6. Corrected some mistakes in the menu screens displayed in Arabic and Portuguese. (This applies to models in overseas markets. The models for the Japanese market do not display those languages.)
The Version 1.2.5 firmware being released this time is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.2.4. If the camera’s firmware is already Version 1.2.5, it is not necessary to update the firmware. Note that cameras with the Version 1.2.5 firmware (and also Versions 1.2.0 through 1.2.4) cannot be downgraded to a previous firmware version (such as Version 1.1.0 or earlier).
Official download from Canon UK:
Select “Firmware” on that page, and you will see the link to download it.
As always, please read ALL the instructions given by Canon very carefully before proceeding to update your camera. Use a fully charged battery (Canon brand) and do NOT touch anything during the process.
Please help us to keep this blog running. Make your purchases through the above or following links, there is no additional cost to you:
Photography & Accessories / Lighting & Studio / Video / Pro Video / Pro Audio / Home Entertainment / Computers & Software
Follow us on Twitter for special news, technical articles, important promotions and rebates. We try to keep everyone informed about promos, since they are great to save when buying.
Thank you very much for your support.